Blog entries are ordered chronologically with the most recent post at the top of the page. First time visitors should start at the bottom and read upwards.

Posting comments requires a blogger account. To create a google account, follow this invitation link and follow the steps.

I assume most people do not already have a blogger account, so they will have to click on the "Create your account now" link after clicking on the above invitation link. Creating a blogger account should only takes a few seconds.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ups and Downs

Hello Supporters!

Wow, is it a rocky road to recovery! The hardest thing to learn is to be patient and thankful the crises seem to be getting more manageable. Having such a huge back-up contingent of you folks available to help is a real uplift. Some of the more frustrating aspects involve sitting back while watching other people sacrifice so much to do my work. Yes, how humbling to need you and have everyone come through so amazingly.

I haven't mentioned much yet concerning specific physical problems, but I rather that wait until I'm a little more at ease in presenting them humorously. They are still so daunting. Right now, swelling and water retention present difficulties, but it is anticipated that there will be weeks before switching to the more aggressive IV that usually results in much worse problems. Some of you are curious - I'm likely to have long hair for less than a month, maybe. I used to love it but long hair is so trivial in this perspective. I expect to experiment with a few short hair styles before going to wigs and scarves.

In fact, I'm thinking it might be sort of fun trying out new looks. Maybe I can post some possibilities. I bet a few of you have gone unrecognized in your own mundane look.

Finally - This isn't a trick question - I am searching for a recipe for a hot soothing tea drink which contains honey, but tastes nothing at all like honey or any kind of fruit, either. The benefits of teas, especially for those with compromised bronchial systems, have been so overwhelmingly touted that it looks like I will have to switch from being a contented coffee person into a *gulp* TEA PERSON.

A few of you have already sent some tea recipes to aid in general health and well being. So, please share!

Thanks again!

Janet

13 comments:

Athanasia said...

Janet,

It is good to hear from you. I am glad to hear it is getting more manageable.

Short hair cuts can be fun. Try a pixie look. They are popular and sexy.

Ginger tea is a good herbal drink; and it is calming to the stomach.
I love it.

Take care of yourself and stay positive.

Love,
Athanasia

Mey said...

Hi Janet,
I live by the Smile Herb store that Amara mentioned a few days ago on one of the comments. They have raw honey and an "Herb Tussin" tea, which to contain eucalyptus, licorice, spearmint and lemon but no other fruits. I thought I would drop them off with George as I will be going to NIST tomorrow.
hugs,
Mey

Unknown said...

Hi, Janet,
I was going to recommend ginger tea as well. The recipe is simple:
- buy some fresh ginger,
- peel the outer layer off (the woody stuff)from a piece that is about 1" x 1" or the equivalent volume
- chop or grate the ginger root
- put the ginger root into a pan, cover it with about 1-2 cups of water, and bring the liquid to a boil (depends on how strong you like it!)
- sweeten it with honey or sugar to taste
It's really good for digestion and I really like the way it tastes.
Love,
Carol aka Maya

Unknown said...

http://www.silkroadtea.com/ has some great teas as well as a tea mixology page: http://www.silkroadtea.com/tea_recipes.htm

Last I checked they were a tea importer based in Victoria on Vancouver Island (Canada). You can't actually find another place more "Victorian" than it anywhere else as far as I know, and that includes the holdouts in the UK.

For soothing teas I very much like their "Moonlight on the Grove" which is a jasmin based green tea.

Frank said...

Hi Janet :)

I posted to my LJ to see if any of my friends knew of something perhaps suitable for your tea request and received the following:

The combo of ginger and green tea tastes pretty good, but solo is fine as well.

As for honey, with the ginger they would not taste it really. If they want a honey substitue they could try Stevia (it's a natural sweetener that is available at healthfood stores).

Other herbs they could blend with the above to taste are:

1. Rosehips: contains more Vitamin C than 9 oranges. :)
2. Echinacea: immune system booster
3. Peppermint: fever breaker, settles stomach. Though with ginger I doubt peppermint would taste that good.


***

Another friend suggested looking into a specialty tea shop, which reminded me that there's one within walking distance of my job. I plan on looking it up and checking it out after work today. Hopefully one of their friendly associates will have more helpful tips.

You're in my thoughts and prayers every day! Stay strong and keep that positive spirit :)

Nabila said...

Janet,
Instead of using sugar or honey in your tea try cinnamon. My mom is diabetic and "sweetens" her things with cinnamon. The cinnamon tricks your brain into thinking it is sweet and it tastes good too!
Nabila

Nabila said...

Oh one more thing....do you like cardamon? I put it in my tea sometimes. It doesn't taste fruity. It took some time for me to get used to the flavor but I use it a lot now.

Nabila

Anonymous said...

The honey / tea would be to treat the persistent cough that has been keeping mom awake. She's already taking Codeine, which is one of the more powerful prescription cough suppressants.

Recent studies have suggested that
Theobromine (found in cocoa) is even more effective than codeine as a cough suppressant. There is absolutely no harm in trying it, and I'm going to see if CVS has some. You could get a sufficient amount by eating 50g of dark chocolate, but I don't think my mom wants all that sugar.

Here's a link to one of the recent studies on Theobromine as a cough suppressant.

-GW

Frank said...

Hi, GW,

I had hoped maybe GNC would have theobromine since they are just down the road from me, but the only product I could find from them with it is mixed with a great many other supplements.

Amazon has it for sale through a vendor called KRK Supplements.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Extract-Capsules-Theobromine-capsules/dp/B000VG60K2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1215720583&sr=8-1
$12.95/120 Capsules Cocoa Extract 10% Theobromine 400 mg

Shipping time seems to be about 3 days. However, they're only at 94% feedback and sound like they may have some customer services issues. Caveat emptor :)

A search at the CVS website only turned up theobromine as part of a precaution for using aminophylline.

Good luck with finding a local source!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Janet,
Being an experimentalist at heart, I started looking for interesting short hairstyles that you might like.

Just to help you out - I've eliminated some. For example,
http://www.myhaircuts.com/punk-haircuts.shtml
is not my favorite though the description of who should go for this look fits you perfectly.

The Meg Ryan look isn't bad, but it just ain't pretty enough.
http://www.myhaircuts.com/celebrityhaircuts.shtml
Nix on the Madonna one, too. (Pic 15 - ewh... that is really ugly Bless her heart.)

In the short section on this website there were a couple of real possibilities that I thought you might like.

There are lots of sites with possibilities and even software where you can use you picture to try out different styles, but that seems a lot of work.

Can't wait to see what you choose.

Love,
Carol

Unknown said...

Blue hair - neon blue!

Anonymous said...

Dear Janet,

I am reading the blog every day. Whatever you do with your hair, I am sure you will look as pretty as before. We miss you and love you.


Rabia

Nabila said...

I found Theobromine on www.myorganicmarket.com. It says it is found in green tea. There were some contrindications for chemotherapy so you might want to make sure with your physician that it is ok to use.

There is a MOM on Nicholson Lane in Rockville, fairly close to Boiling Brook Pkwy. It is a little pricey but what isn't these days? You may be able to find some other things that you may need there.

Good luck!