Blog entries are ordered chronologically with the most recent post at the top of the page. First time visitors should start at the bottom and read upwards.

Posting comments requires a blogger account. To create a google account, follow this invitation link and follow the steps.

I assume most people do not already have a blogger account, so they will have to click on the "Create your account now" link after clicking on the above invitation link. Creating a blogger account should only takes a few seconds.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Preparations for Wednesday

Dear friends again,

Yes, plans are being refined for the memorial mass for Janet. I have never organized a funeral, but the professionals at Devol Funeral Home are giving me advice and the people at Our Lady of the Visitation Parish are helping guide me too.

Today I was asked for some guidance on the readings from the bible. I was a bit at a loss to decide, but something relating to Janet's scientific or dance career seems appropriate. For the former, I consulted with Father Andrew Buechele at Catholic University. He is an interesting fellow, a member of the Piarist order. This is a very small order of Catholic Priests that specialize in works of charity and scientific work around the world. Yes, Fr. Buechele is a scientist and he does a lot of his work with electron microscopes in a research laboratory. He works on studying vitreous materials and their ability to encapsulate radioactive waste products. It is a fascinating endeavor and aims to help the environment. It is an interesting way to do the Lord's work. In 2000 when she graduated from the University of Maryland, Janet interviewed for a job at that laboratory. She was offered a job, but she opted for the dental job instead. Fr. Buechele remembered there was a good passage from the Book of Wisdom, so I have some homework to find it.

We are beginning to hear from many friends and family who intend to come from far and wide on Wednesday. I originally estimated 40 or 50, but it may be double that.

I know that many of you would love to have a Turkish 9/8ths playing as a prelude to the Mass, but the church is very particular about music selections. We will have some traditional church music during the Mass.

Nevertheless, I am a sentimentalist. I have asked that Maurice Ravel's "Pavan for a Dead Princess" be played (by CD) as a prelude to the Mass. It is a lovely and emotional piece of classical orchestral music. My eyes become moist whenever I hear it. I hope that they agree to play it. I always wondered why no one plays it at a funeral. Maybe they do, but I have never been there. So here is our chance. As we file into the pews, if you see me weeping, you shall know why. It is for Janet and it is for the Pavan.

george sr.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Pavan for a Dead Princess is gorgeous. I hope they will let you play it.

Samia said...

Wednesday will be a difficult day. But we will be there to help you make it through.