Blog entries are ordered chronologically with the most recent post at the top of the page. First time visitors should start at the bottom and read upwards.

Posting comments requires a blogger account. To create a google account, follow this invitation link and follow the steps.

I assume most people do not already have a blogger account, so they will have to click on the "Create your account now" link after clicking on the above invitation link. Creating a blogger account should only takes a few seconds.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Decision was made

Dear friends and family,

Events are unfolding very fast. Early on Thursday morning, Janet decided that her prospects for a meaningful recovery and fair to good quality of life while withstanding the rigors of aggressive chemotherapy were poor. She opted to accept a palliative treatment with home hospice. Aleta, George Walter, and I tearfully agreed with her.
She told me this morning at 9:30 am and she was at peace that she had made the decision. I had anticipated it and told her last night that we would support whatever she wished to do. I did not get specific, but she understood. Physicians and counselors had informed us of the options.
She was strong and brave this morning as she told me of her choice. I broke down. She is stronger than me. With her this morning were Joan Chouili, Carol Handwerker and Robin Blendell. Joan and Robin are nurses. They calmed her after she made the decision and told her what to expect. She no longer has the uncertainty and fear of the unknown.
Janet knows that fate has dealt her a terrible hand. She put up a valiant fight but we cannot allow her to endure additional misery in the interest of simply prolonging life at a poor quality.
So tonight I am working to decide on which of two hospice care centers to utilize. I have been told they are both excellent and Janet will be in good hands. We hope she will make it to this point, but nothing is certain.
Janet regressed and was in considerable pain in the late afternoon and early evening, but now that palliative care and hospice treatment has been elected, the medications will be ramped up and adjusted to whatever level is needed to make her comfortable.
The immediate family is collecting. My brother James is here now from Boston and Janet's brother is driving down tomorrow from Hartford with Janet's mother. Cindy will be coming in from California early next week.
Please do not rush to the hospital on Friday. She needs peace and rest and she has good company. Tonight (Thursday-Friday), Aleta and Carol are staying with Janet. She will have family or a special friend with her at all times. Colleen Hood and Carol Handwerker are helping me with arrangements.
Janet will receive the sacramet of the Annointing of the Sick at noon on Friday.
We hope that she will regain enough strength to be able to come home over the weekend or early next week for professional home care hospice aid. I will take time off from work on an extended basis and have some hospice professional help at home.

So we all are saddened by this turn of events, but Janet is at peace with her decision. God bless you all and it is not too late for prayer and peaceful thoughts.

george sr.

9 comments:

Athanasia said...

God be with you all.
I am so sorry about Janet's plight.
I know this is very hard and sad.

Janet, I hate to see you go.
I will continue to pray for you always.

Love
Athanasia

Sam Liao said...

Hi Janet and Quinn's family,

I understand it is a tough decision to make, especially, you have so many people love you and care about you. Janet, I really admire your strength and courage during past two months during the medical treatment.

To be honest with you, I think chemo sucks! As far as I understand, they place some kinda poisons to your body in order to kill the cancer cells. But at the same time, the drug also kills normal cells.

For past three years, I have been living in California where entrepreneurs, hippies, and non-traditional people gathered. From this place, I heard about non-traditional/alternative treatments for cancer. Basically, they are saying that normal cell change to cancer cell because the environment inside the body is bad, lack of oxygen, and/or toxic. If someone start cleaning overall environment, the cancer cells will become normal.

Because of you, Janet; I bough a book that about green powder is able to cleanse the body. In other words, it converts bad environment to good. If you are interested, you can check this website. Many people claimed that cancer inside their bodies disappeared. I think it is worth to try at this moment.
http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Wheatgrass.html

I can ship this book to you if you are interested. Please let me know.

As always, I am praying for you everyday! I asked Jesus, our Lord and our healer, come and heal you. God bless you, Janet, and your family.

Sincerely

Sam

Barbara Duval said...

God of love, power and might, keep watch over Janet, and who weep this day and night. Give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend to Janet, give her rest, bless Janet, soothe her suffering and all for Your love’s sake. Amen

From all of the Zaniewski family, we love you.

Stream said...

Dear Janet,
you have fought valiantly. Here is a song we learned from Quaker friends that speaks for us:

Dear Friend, dear Friend,
let me tell you how we feel:
you have shared with us your treasures
We love you so!

Dear Friend, dear Friend,
let me tell you how we feel:
Love will reign
and war will cease
Love will bring you Peace!

Smiles and tears S~ and Tania

Clif Carey said...

I am continuously amazed by the amount of strength and dignity that Janet and her family have exhibited throughout this very awful time. I am convinced that the power from within that fuels the Quinn family is a deep and abiding love. My prayers are for you Janet and for your family that God hold you in His hands and cares for each one of you in His own plan.

Tamara said...

George and Aleta and GW, Janet has been such an abiding source of life and passion and sweetness for so many of us who know her. She is one of the most generous people I have ever met and one who has brightened my days since I met her. I am so sorry for her and your struggle. And so sad... And so inspired as always by Janet's spirit.
I am available to come be with Janet or for anything else that you need that I can offer.
Love,
~Tamara

Allyson said...

Many prayers and Grace, for you all. You have made a very courageous decision. You will stay in my thoughts and prayers.
Allyson - of the UF group....

Pam said...

This is Pam Dardess, Dale Hall's daughter. He has shared news with me and encouraged me to check the blog. I want to let all of you know that our family is thinking of you and sending love and strength your way. I also want Janet to know that my daughter (Lea) has seen both her and Aleta dance several times (on tape), and has always been mesmerized. Lea loves to dance and move, and I thank you for sharing that gift with her. Janet, through dance and your beautiful spirit, you have touched more lives than you can possibly know. Please know that we are all with you in spirit now. Love and peace to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

bits ukchap pharmie spikes vkvuhz woodwind foot addition lyka wedo pride
lolikneri havaqatsu